Preparing for Commencement 2023
Posted in Announcements
December 19, 2022
Dear Member of the Class of 2023,
I am excited to share with you initial information about Georgetown’s 2023 Commencement ceremonies, taking place from Thursday, May 18, to Sunday, May 21, 2023. Commencement includes a range of ceremonies that represent the true spirit of Georgetown and celebrate your accomplishments in the community of your families, loved ones, peers, faculty and university staff.
You will be able to find regularly updated information on Commencement planning at commencement.georgetown.edu, as well as on the Commencement website of your school. Commencement 2023 is being planned to take place on the Hilltop in person, and we will continue to keep you updated on public health guidance as we balance this important celebration with keeping our community healthy and safe.
I invite you to download and thoroughly read the Commencement Information packet, which includes:
- The full schedule for Commencement 2023
- Lodging & Accommodations information
- A graduation checklist of required actions
I would like to draw your attention to several key ceremonies during Commencement weekend:
- Senior Convocation: Thursday, May 18, at 12 p.m. – Senior Convocation inaugurates the university’s official undergraduate commencement events. Please note that no student degrees are conferred at this event.
- Tropaia Ceremonies: Each school will provide details about its individual Tropaia ceremony to recognize outstanding achievement. Tropaia ceremonies, which take their name from the ancient Greek word for “trophy,” honor exceptional graduating seniors for their outstanding accomplishments, both within and outside of the classroom.
- Commencement Ceremonies:
- School of Nursing: Thursday, May 18, at 3 p.m.
- School of Continuing Studies: Friday, May 19, at 12 p.m.
- College of Arts & Sciences: Saturday, May 20, at 9 a.m.
- School of Health: Saturday, May 20, at 12 p.m.
- McDonough School of Business: Saturday, May 20, at 2 p.m.
- Walsh School of Foreign Service: Saturday, May 20, at 5 p.m.
- Baccalaureate Mass: Sunday, May 21, at 9 a.m. – The annual Baccalaureate Mass gathers the community in prayer and celebration of the Class of 2023, and includes an academic procession of students and faculty. All graduates and their families are welcome regardless of religious affiliation. The Commencement Brunch, to which all graduates and their guests are also invited, will be served starting at 10:45 a.m.
- Senior Week and Senior Ball: The Senior Class Committee will share details about Senior Week and the Senior Ball during the spring semester. Information on Senior Parents Weekend, which will be held February 10-12, 2023, will be provided to you in the near future.
In the spring semester, your Dean’s Office will provide further instructions for Commencement Weekend and your school’s Commencement ceremony.
In the meantime, I wish you a good end to the semester as you near this important occasion.
With best wishes,
Robert M. Groves, Ph. D.
Cc: School Dean